Monday, July 4, 2011

Free to be Ourselves

I love this quote by Mile Mason 
“Christians no longer need to pretend to be better than anyone else.  We don’t have to put on any show of being good, for we know we are not.  We are not good—we are forgiven; and so we are free to be honest before God and before others.  We are free to be ourselves.  We have given up trying to be good little boys and girls, and whenever we catch ourselves striving to please either God or others by dint of moral effort, we are the sort of people who react to this danger signal by falling on our faces before the Lord.  For one of the secret privileges of being His child is knowing that it is all right to fail.  It is all right to get tired…as His followers we know that if we are ever truly to reflect His goodness or His power, it will not be by human effort by only by grace."


It reminds me once again to get off the treadmill of performance, trying to please God with good works. It reminds me to rest in His everlasting love and to live a life of confession, repentance and faith. Why is it that old habits/beliefs are so easy to fall back into?  Because I am a sinner and the roots of sin run deep and wide within my heart. Oh Father, continue to plow the soil of heart removing all works -righteousness until I reflect your goodness and power not by my efforts but by GRACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment