Sunday, July 17, 2011

What's a Gospel Friend to do?

Several days ago a friend of mine showed we a Bible study she is doing. By the time I finished reading the synopsis and listening to her tell me the things she is learning everything within me was shouting “NO, don’t do it. It will only feed your propensity toward works-righteousness.”  But before I could say anything someone interrupted us and we didn’t get to discuss it. Every time I think about her doing this study I get anxious for her so I’ve started praying God will open her eyes to the truth about this study but what if the way He wants to open her eyes is through me? I really don’t want to be the one to talk to her about this. I don’t want to hurt her feelings. I’m so excited that she wants to do a Bible study and is spending the time reading and preparing for it so how do I tell her my concerns?  How do I not tell her my concerns?
There is a part of me that says “Just do it because James 5:19-20 says “My brothers and sisters, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and is brought back by another, you should know that whoever brings back a sinner from wandering will save the sinner's soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins” And another part of me says “Don’t do it because James tells us we shouldn’t judge each other.”  And still another part thinks I should just leave it in God’s hand, after all He is sovereign and if He doesn’t want her doing it He will stop her.
So what’s a Gospel friend to do? Pray, pray and pray some more. Pray that God will search my heart and show me any pride or arrogance or self-righteousness that is in me regarding this situation. Pray that God would open her eyes and heart so that she can discern the truth.  And be ready, so when God presents me with an opportunity to share with her my concerns I can do so in a way that builds her up and encourages her to rest in all God has done for her through Christ.
 Why does this bother me so much? Because for too many years I spent too much time doing too many studies that fueled my tendency towards self-righteousness. My attitude, without realizing it, was just tell me what to do and I will do it so that I can be right with God and others and I was miserable and angry and lonely. God graciously allowed me to wear myself out; He brought me to the end of myself and is now teaching me that I am righteous before Him and He loves me and delights in me because of Christ, and is teaching me to “walk steadfastly according to the sanctifying power of the gospel." This is what I want for my friend – to walk steadfastly according to the sanctifying power of the gospel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment